Saturday, January 23, 2010

To measure progress

I ran 6 miles today.

Well, ran 2.8 then walked .2.

Then ran 2.6, walked .1, ran.1, and walked .2.

I shouldn't have ever stopped at 2.6 because it made my legs feel like cement. It would have been much easier to just keep going. I felt great until 4 and then my left adductor (brevis?- very upper inside thigh) was really unhappy with me. Also at the end I felt like my ankles were asleep at my Achilles which has never happened to me before. My hips have been very rotated lately so I'm blaming it on that.

I can't believe that I did it, this was my first "long" run. I'm quite positive that i have never run that far in my life. I'm even more confident now about the half marathon I'll be running in May (although I might have said June before- it's in MAY).

Oh, by the way it took me 80 minutes which is about as slow as I can imagine. I'm just fine with that.

I really wanted to do it on the greenbelt, but the weather wasn't great and neither were my kids today, so I had to go with a treadmill at the gym.

I have to admit that I did cry. But only because CNN kept show scenes from the earthquake that I just can't handle.

Can I pretty please have a little Haitian boy?

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I know!! My cousin's wife is a reporter and she just flew down there for a quit reporting trip. She said all the orphaned children just broke her heart. Gorgeous babies - hope they all make it to kind and loving homes!

Way to go Sarah!!!

red-headed Wilson's said...

OUr family doctor is from Haiti and has gone down there with a medical team. It is just so heartbreaking. I was wishing I was a doctor and could go down and help but I think I would be a mental wreck.

Good job running! I hate to run so I am amazed with your wanting to and be able to!