Friday, January 8, 2010

Obsession

When Carolyn was about 5 I wanted to buy her a new Sunday dress. We went shopping for a whole DAY. I hate shopping. We didn't find a dress. They all had glitter, or were sleeveless, or spaghetti strapped or mini skirted, or were advertising something of that year which must have been Dragon Tales or maybe Dora (yes, on DRESSES). They were hideous.


The very next day in church we had stake conference and in our stake president's talk he spoke about shopping with his teenage daughter for a modest prom dress. They spent TWO unsuccessful days. He said "mothers, learn to sew! That's the only conclusion I can come up with." I loved his talk and at the time had made a few dresses for Carolyn. Some wearable, and some not. I made a goal to make two dresses per year at Christmas and Easter and I figured by the time she needed a prom dress I would be a pro.

Did I do it?

No.

I still make unwearable things.

Sometimes, I think well, no worries there are now companies that make modest prom dresses. But, they are all the same! Pretty much your choice is color.

My brain keeps fashioning prom dresses. Made from prints. Because aren't they ALL solid now? Boring. I told Eddie that I wanted to be able to make prom dresses, really fantastic ones that you can't buy in stores. He said "Oh." that was it.

Really, I do.

Although, I feel like that statement is just as difficult to achieve as a 300 person saying he's going to run a marathon. It can happen, just takes time right?

And......this sounds like another topic but isn't.

Our garage has an attic space for storage. Since we moved in it has been filled with the previous owners junk. Mostly totes and totes of Christmas crap. But, this fall Eddie pulled one out that had this in it.








Look at the white one with red dots and a v in the back. I would go to prom all over again just to wear that dress. Ok, maybe not but it's great right?
So, I started training for my marathon and now I have shin splints so to speak because I can not for the life of me put in an invisible zipper. See how the side of this skirt is wonky? That's my bad zipper job.



I really think my problem might be that I always go for difficult patterns. I'm aiming for 10 miles at once when I need to start with 2.




But, aren't the pleats in the back cute. Shoot.
By the way I am doing a half marathon in June. It will be easier than sewing a prom dress.
I think.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

What a treasure trove!!! Patterns are so expensive unless you catch them on a dollar sale. . . not very convenient if you're on a time line! Good luck with those dresses, and keep up the good work!!!

red-headed Wilson's said...

My mom made my first prom dress. I look back on it and HATE it. :) But fabrics back then are not what they are today. I think you could make a beautiful dress with some more years of practice. :) I will never learn to sew but that is why my mom and mother in law sews. So I can ask them for what I want. :) Maybe they can sew Alicia's as well. Or maybe the style by then will be neck to toe dresses. :)

Sijbrich said...

Hmm. I think you just need to use the sewing machine foot for invisible zippers. I have confidence that you will have a wearable skirt next Tuesday. This really must be bothering you - posts on FB and the blog...

Carol Haddock said...

The skirt is wonderful!! Take a look at dresses in the store. They don't line up either. We need to get together and do some sewing for practice. I never did like invisible zippers either. I use the normal kind they are much easier. Most dresses in the store use the normal zipper as well. Love You Mom