Monday, January 19, 2009

Sweet

Yesterday I needed sugar. I declared to Eddie that I would be making a dessert and asked if he had any input. He replied that a cobbler or crisp would be tasty. I then informed him that the request will only be considered if the item contained 1. Sugar and 2. Chocolate.

I considered trying to convince him of the fact that a cobbler or crisp could actually be considered a "salad" with our dinner since both items contain fruit (and even REAL fruit- unlike the gelled wobbly fruit some people call "salad"). But, as much as I love sugar I want my offspring to grow up knowing that salad contains vegetables and not cookies.


I decided to make
these (Magic Cookie Bars III) tasty chocolate and sugar containing numbers. However to my horror, when I opened the can of sweetened condensed milk the recipe called for......... it was brown like this. I have opened brown milk before and it is not pleasant to your olfactory senses. I threw it away and pouted (no other cans in the house). Then I went to this very computer and looked for a substitute for sweetened condensed milk- and what do you know there is such a thing.

Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup of dry milk
2/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of boiling water
3 T of melted butter
combine all in a blender and you get one homemade, cheaper, and not brown can of sweetened condensed milk.
It worked fabulously. The treats were consumed. Momma saved the day ( well, only for me but doesn't that count?).

I will never again buy a can of sweetened condensed milk so that it can sit in my cupboard turning brown. This is way too easy, and did I say cheaper?!

No comments: