Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sex Education

*CAUTION* Do not read the following post if you are offended in any manner with the topic of female mammary glands.

While recently sitting at a red light I had the following conversation with the first grader:

first grader: "H" "OOOO" "T" "ER" "Z"
"H" "OOOO" "T" "ER" "Z"
Mom: honey, what are you reading?
first grader: that sign, it says hooters
Mom: yeah, that actually isn't a very nice thing to say
first grader: but it's the name of a restaurant
Mom: yes it is, but that is a restaurant that we wouldn't ever go to- so let's not say the name.
first grader: how can a restaurant be not nice?
Mom: well, "hooters" is another name for boobies- I mean milkies. You should call them milkies.
first grader: why did they name it after boobies?
Mom: Milkies honey, because the ladies who bring your food wear tight shirts. And, they usually have really big milkies.
-first grader makes face showing how grotesque that idea is to her.
Mom: it is pretty grody huh? It's not very nice to wear tight clothes that show off your milkies just so people can see how big they are. It's really immodest isn't it?
first grader: yes, and we aren't supposed to be immodest. It's not nice.

she then changed the topic to something else, and I thought that overall I handled the topic pretty well .... until we came home and she ran outside to tell her brother and his friend what "hooters" are... and she didn't say "milkies".

1 comment:

Sijbrich said...

Someday when I have kids that are old enough to read I will be sure to avoid the intersection at Franklin and Milwaukee at all costs. Thanks for the forewarning. Funny, I had to explain the restaurant to Paul, it being a lovely part of American culture and all. Funny thing is, we discovered that there is even a Hooters in Lima at a shopping mall that we go to every time we go down there. There are several other restaurants that we like there (and where the servers are more appropriately dressed), so I don't think we'll ever be tempted to go.:-)