Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rage Against the (sewing) Machine

I felt inspired about six weeks ago to start making Christmas presents. I thought it was only because I wanted Christmas to be more meaningful and homemade. I'm glad I listened because we have had a load of financial poop dropped on our heads. It has been nice to have some presents that I didn't have to spend hardly anything on.

I thought this one would be my favorite. The idea is, but I just couldn't make it right. It involved math and measurements and pattern making which are all apparently beyond my skills.

It is a sketch book and pencil holder made for Elizabeth.
I have made little crayon rolls before. I don't know how but I ended up with too many pencil pockets and it made them a tight fit- which makes the front bunch up and look not so cute.
I do like the buttons on the back, it keeps it all together tightly and she can carry it around like a little purse.



Even with the bunched up front I hope she'll like it. Carolyn said "That's for me right?" I guess if she likes it then Elizabeth will. The sketch book was bought with a Michael's coupon for $6 and the twistable colored pencils were only $3. Not bad I think. Maybe when I want to look at my sewing machine again I will make another in the right width. Right now the machine is not my friend. I'm glad I made it, but there was some muttered words uttered that children should not hear. (don't tell).

p.s. I know nothing about the band rage against the machine and have no idea if their music is good- or horrible.

3 comments:

red-headed Wilson's said...

O, that is so cute. My Alicia would LOVE that. But with pencils. I may have to see if my mom can make that for her birthday.

Thank you for a new post. I love seeing what you are making. I have no desire to sew but have a desire for home made things. HMMM.

Hope things get better financially for your family. It seems everyone is being hit by hard times.

Rachelle said...

Love it, Sarah!

Sijbrich said...

I think it turned out quite cute.

I only know about Rage Against the Machine because one of my brothers listened to them when we were in high school. Quite a bit of anger being expressed in their songs and a bit of screaming. I'm not positive, but they may even use some of the words that you mutter when sewing. But very clever title for your post.:-) I hope things get better for you financially.