Monday, March 14, 2011

Helen Harper

We have a patient who has been with our practice for years, at least 4.  I remember telling her when I was expecting Leah.  Helen is an English lady who is also a midwife so she loves all things pregnancy related.  She is the most kind person ever.  Really.  She would lay on my table and let me work her and want to know all the details about my life and kids, and how things were going for me.  MOST people never ask, or want to know.  Being a mostly home-bound-nobody-to-talk-to mother, this meant a lot to me.
Helen had cancer.  I remember her telling us, and crying, and then she got well, and then she got worse.  And she got well again.  She is the most look-on-the-bright-side person I've ever known.  She bragged about wearing a bikini once on vacation because her treatments had made her lose weight, which I'm guessing is something she wouldn't normally have done.  And, I won't ever forget how hard I laughed when she came back into the office from a trip to England with a package of Helen Harper sanitary napkins.  She said that is what they are called there.  Helen Harpers.  They sat in the office bathroom cupboard for a good two years, then one day I noticed they were gone and I was sad someone had taken them.  I wish I kept them.  Stupid Cancer.  Love you Helen Harper.

1 comment:

red-headed Wilson's said...

Sorry Sarah. :( It is hard to see people go through cancer. Cancer stinks. BIG TIME.