Our tour guide was named Helaman. He told us how the top room of the temple is similar to Solomon's temple. He explained all of the symbols and how they relate to the Book of Mormon. Some people think that the great white god that came from the sky was aliens. Most tour guides teach that it couldn't have been any one else. REALLY? Aliens is more believable? We liked Helaman. He showed us how the "water collection basins" were really fonts and how only the newer temples had the god of water carved into them (the elephant nosed face).
There was a playing field for the game where you get the ball through the stone hoop. Helaman told us the name of the game but I forgot it after about 1.7 seconds. The high priest used to choose either the winner or loser and sacrifice a person from the team. They cut of his head and put it in the top room of the temple. Then, they put his heart on an alter. Talk about broken heart and contrite spirit.
After seeing the city we went to a conote (is that how you spell it Dan?) You could swim in it, however we didn't know and didn't have suits. I was a little glad as it is very deep and daunting. But, I would have done it. I guess I'll have to go back someday.

1 comment:
Wow! I know what you mean when you say they were huge. When Zach and I went to El Salvador we went to Mayan temples and I could not believe how big they were. And, to think that they did not have the equiptment we have today is mind blowing. Looks like yall had fun in Cancun!
Post a Comment