Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Orlando and Valdosta

If I only had a brain then I would have realized that last week as I packed for Florida I was leaving my camera battery charger at home and taking a camera with an empty battery. But, this is Sarah's Blog. So, I have no pictures of our trip. Which is okay- because the things I wanted to take pictures of were in the Valdosta, Georgia Historical Society Museum where cameras are not allowed. They had hats and bodices from 1880. And, bugles and flags from the Civil War. There were boxes full of things, really old things like pressed flowers and programs from social events held in the 1910's. There were stacks of newspapers sitting around like they had been left there for the last 90 years and nobody ever got to putting them where they go. It was pretty much the coolest place ever. And the man who helped me find info knew exactly who I was looking for when I said the name. I copied pages for three hours and then left so I could join my husband at a dinner party. But, I really, really, really wanted to stay. One day I'll go back and go to Quitman too.

p.s. about Orlando: there are lizards everywhere and it's quite unpleasant to step on a dead one just as you've taken off your heels to walk barefoot across the grass. (It was little and green, and I only touched the tail with my toe but there was still much squealing and squirming).

1 comment:

Sijbrich said...

In Hawaii there are lots of frogs and cars run over them quite often so you have to watch when crossing the street so as not to step on a dried up squished frog. FYI.